About Me

My photo
SW London
A semi-mature, hardy individual who tries to get away with doing as little as possible in gardening as in life, still expects the best results & wonders why she is frequently disappointed! She likes to keep a photographic record of everything, good & frequently bad!

Monday 30 November 2009

Slug

slug

That is the title of this installation by Anish Kapoor, part of his exhibition at the Royal Academy which I visited on Saturday evening. ‘That’s a giant vulva’ was how Mr B described it. Perhaps slugs would be tolerated a little more if they looked as exotic!

I loved the exhibition: probably my favourite was a room full of mounds of extruded concrete which looked like worms or turds or the remains of some ancient civilisation.

In-Kapoors-new-series-of-sculptures-concrete-shapes-that-look-like-slugsThere was also a certain sense of danger here as you had to negotiate your way through the different piles along with the many other visitors to the exhibition.

The room full of mirrors was sometimes a little like being at the fairground: they were all shaped in different ways so you could play at the “look at my big feet” or other parts of your anatomy game but it was amazing & fascinating looking at how the space changed as you moved around.

anish_20I could have sat & looked at this for ages!

I could describe it all in great detail but I won’t. It was a fantastic show sadly slightly spoiled at the end by the weather & public transport combined!

BTW I hope you have all heard this haunting music by Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu.

3 comments:

  1. Funnily enough, that's the shape slugs go when you pour salt on them. I did that once, never again. It caused such a mess! Of course it's not very humane either...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cruel Rob (hehehe). BTW I'm not sure if I should thank you for my nomination as Party Mentalist of the Year!

    sheldonhillyer(?), is that an art installation on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was that nomination, or the big mouth. You choose whether to thank me or not. ;-)

    ReplyDelete