About Me

My photo
SW London
A semi-mature, hardy individual who tries to get away with doing as little as possible in gardening as in life, still expects the best results & wonders why she is frequently disappointed! She likes to keep a photographic record of everything, good & frequently bad!

Monday 1 March 2010

And yes, I did deliberately bash her back-pack….

 

DSCN0677

We were going stir crazy. The weather was wet, the garden was wet, the roads were wet, the allotment was wet, the cat was wet….. do you get the picture? ‘Lets pop off to Kew’ said the Doofer, it won’t be busy with this weather, we can go & see the orchids’. We are normally early birds & like to go to places as they are opening so as to avoid the lazy slothful stay-a beds but needs must…….

It started well, we parked very close to the gate, the rain had stopped pouring down, the gardens were quiet……but of course everyone who was there was in the Princess of Wales glasshouse. Now the modern parent has to free any small children from the confines of their buggies & let them roam free; the number of times I almost stood on one of these small things as I rounded a corner or tried to take an artistically important photo. That was not all, adult groups without children were as bad; standing talking whilst taking up the entire width of the pathway. And the lady with large back-pack? As I tried to squeeze past whilst she took not a blind bit of notice of this poor  person (me you understand) I suddenly decided to take matters into my own hands & quite deliberately bashed her back-pack as I passed. It made her swing round a bit but did not put her off her long & I am sure essential conversation with the others in her party.

What follows are some pictures of the orchids & other bits of Kew although I am a bit miffed that Ms Sock got to see them before I did & wrote her usual individual take on things, but I do my bit.

DSCN0671 DSCN0660 DSCN0661 DSCN0675 DSCN0676

DSCN0652

Outside, despite the weather, you could see that spring was if not exactly springing into life, at least making a valiant effort to put on a brave face.

DSCN0643 DSCN0639  DSCN0634 DSCN0644

And a few other pictures for your delectation.

DSCN0649 DSCN0648 DSCN0647

DSCN0645

7 comments:

  1. The long handle crates on wheels, favoured by flower show attendees do the same for me, increasing as they do, the amount of space one person takes up by 300%. Yes, I have "accidentally" overturned one or two in my time. Rant over.

    p.s. lovely words and pictures as usual

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's hear it for back-packer bashers. They stand in the market and when you try to get passed they swing round and you get a face full of bag. I love the cactus picture - very arty-farty (that's a complement, truly)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know that those cactii are commonly called Mother-in-Law's Pouffes?
    (at least they are by his Honour Nige Colborn)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Vriesea in the pots in the first pic. Very subtle colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WV is phandom (fanbase?), which is something you have developed very quickly!! Just remember me when you start winning awards for this blog.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. SS, you are very kind about the 'words & pictures'; sometimes they are OK, sometimes they are not! As for those trolleys, one of my early blogs last year was about the Hampton Court Flower Show (http://lazytrollop.blogspot.com/2009/07/stains-spokes-rain-go-passing-by.html) in which was a bit of a rantette about those self same objects.

    Gilly, 'arty farty' will do very nicely thanks

    JAS, just glad I am not a MIL!

    Rob, I will never forget your encouragement in those early stuttering days. Actually, if you continue to show off your knowledge of tropical type plants I might well forget!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete